- The women’s basketball news of the week was announced on Thursday when longtime Tennessee women’s basketball coach Pat Summitt decided to step down and only serve as the Lady Vols head coach emeritus. Holly Warrick, Summitt’s longtime assistant will take over the helm. Here’s the Kansas City Star’s Blair Kerkhoff on when Summitt’s peak was reached in Kansas City in 1998.
- I’m going to double dip with Mr. Kerkhoff here as he explains the significance of Texas A&M’s Tyra White being drafted and achieving her dream of playing pro basketball.
- Oklahoma State has teamed up with the Tulsa Shock to honor local fans and Kurt Budke. Here’s the link to the wnba.com release on the details.
- Another nice piece from the week came from my fellow women’s basketball writer, the University Daily Kansan’s Kathleen Gier and her profile on Bonnie Henrickson’s jersey this season.
NOTE: This story will always be from outside the Big 12 women’s athletics.
- Like always I go to my go to person when it comes to big time women’s basketball issues. Here’s ESPN.com’s Mechelle Voepel take on Summitt’s legacy.